General Manager (Salaried) - 24E407
If you are a CURRENT Carter’s employee, you MUST apply through the Internal Career Link within the My Career & Performance app in Workday. Do not apply using the below external application.
Carter’s, Inc. is the largest branded marketer in North America of apparel exclusively for babies and young children. The Company owns the Carter’s and OshKosh B’gosh brands, two of the most recognized brands in the marketplace. These brands are sold in leading department stores, national chains, and specialty retailers domestically and internationally. They are also sold through more than 1,000 Company-operated stores in the United States, Canada, and Mexico and online at www.carters.com, www.oshkosh.com, www.cartersoshkosh.ca, and www.carters.com.mx. The Company’s Child of Mine brand is available at Walmart, its Just One You brand is available at Target, and its Simple Joys brand is available on Amazon. The Company also owns Skip Hop, a global lifestyle brand for families with young children. Carter’s is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Additional information may be found at www.carters.com.
Baby Clothing, Kids Clothes, Toddler Clothes | Carter's
Shop for baby clothing, baby necessities and essentials at Carters.com, the most trusted name in baby, kids, and toddler clothing. Shop our selection of cute baby & kids clothing.
The General Manager (GM) leads the vision and business strategies to achieve sales, productivity and profitability for two retail store locations. The GM effectively directs and manages all aspects of each retail store location inclusive of customer engagement, operational execution, people management, and merchandising presentation. The GM directs a diverse workforce to ensure adherence with Company policies and procedures. The GM consistently abides by and upholds Our Values to create a positive working environment; Act with Integrity, Exceed Expectations, Succeed Together, Inspire Innovation, and Invest in People.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
People Management (Develop Effective Teams/Lead through Change)
- Communicates professionally and effectively in all interactions including management teams, sales associates, customers, business partners, and vendors.
- Ability to grow leaders through providing direction, delegation, and follow up with employees in both store locations.
- Fosters a positive work environment for employees and recognizes performance to increase employee engagement.
- Builds a talent pipeline though networking/recruiting and develops a succession plan for management positions in both store locations.
- Train, coach, and redirect the store teams and adapts management style as necessary.
- Accountable to the adherence of safety regulations, policies and procedures as directed by the Company.
- Sets clear expectations and identifies gaps in performance of the team and addresses opportunities appropriately.
- Effectively plans/prioritizes their own time between both store locations to meet the needs of each store.
- Receives feedback with positive intent and makes efforts to take appropriate action on that feedback.
- Maintains a genuine customer focus on the sales floor by leading and directing the Leader on Duty program in both store locations.
- Consistently models all brand service standards and coaches others to ensure consistent execution of those standards.
- Builds customer loyalty through directing and coaching the team on the benefits of customer participation with email capture and other available customer loyalty programs.
- Trains management team on proper resolutions to customer concerns and addresses those concerns timely.
- Analyzes Customer feedback to identify areas of opportunity and implements a strategy for the team to positively impact those results.
Merchandising and Operational Execution (Manage Measure Work)
- Sets strategic direction on merchandise and operational execution, ensuring brand standards are met and integrated in both store locations.
- Reduce loss through a consistent level of customer service, education, and operational controls.
- Effectively manages multiple schedules to maximize productivity to provide an exceptional customer experience while managing payroll.
- Analyzes and reacts to assortment level sell thru in both stores and utilizes reactionary merchandising to drive sales.
- Maintains neat, clean, and organized stores while adhering to appropriate multi-brand merchandising guidelines.
- Directs and coaches team to ensure the efficient handling of all merchandise from shipment receipt, processing, visual placement, and replenishment.
Business Management (Drive Growth)
- Critically analyzes key performance indicators (KPIs) and identifies behaviors to drive results.
- Ability to understand and communicate business metrics and trends within each store.
- Partners with peers, business partners and supervisor to identify brands successes and opportunities.
- Leads store teams to generate sales to exceed Company provided goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- High school degree or GED minimum requirement, BS/BA degree strongly preferred
- Specialty retail strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of retail management experience
- Previous experience leading direct reports
- Experience in managing multiple stores and high unit output
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills
- Expertise in store systems and operational controls
- Ability to communicate effectively to customers, team, and supervisor
- Ability to lead, direct, and execute multiple tasks concurrently
- Proficient computer/ technology skills (Outlook, Excel, Web navigation)
- Ability to lift 40 pounds as needed.
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time; climb up and down a ladder.
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to commute between stores on a regular basis.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Availability to meet the needs of the business that may include days, nights, weekends and holidays as scheduled.
- Exempt status; including evenings, weekends and holidays. A minimum of two closing shifts a week.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties described may be changed or reassigned at the discretion of management, and the employee may be required to perform duties that are not listed in the job description.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.