Inventory Management Intern, Summer 2024
Serving the needs of all families with young children, Carter’s Inc. is the largest North American apparel retailer exclusively for babies and young children, encompassing Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip*Hop and Little Planet brands. Meaningful work, constant learning, genuine people, and a community guided by core values that promote inclusion and innovation is in everything we do. There are many reasons to build your career at Carter's.
This role is responsible assists with optimizing the distribution of inventory to each store to maximize sales and profitability. The Inventory Management Intern must be highly organized, attentive to detail, self-directed, and possess strong analytical skills as well as an innate sense of curiosity.
This role typical reports into the Sr Analyst / Manager, Inventory Management.
- This role is required to be in the office 4 days per week at our Buckhead location.
- 30%: Execute the inventory allocations for each item, multiple times/week
- 30%: Use analytics and critical thinking to shape the inventory strategy, being flexible to course correct and make data-driven decisions
- Analyze store inventory at the style/size level, identify over and under performers and provide suggestions to improve
- Ensure inventory is balanced across stores, considering sales volume, store type, and capacity of each store (weekly)
- Ad hoc analysis to Planners and Buyers identifying opportunities and risks(e.g. lost sales); markdown recommendations; and future buy recommendations (e.g. buy quantities, assortment)
- 20%: Create, build, and maintain partnerships with all levels of the organization
- In partnership with the Buyer and Planner, determine how much inventory of each item to allocate to stores (weekly) based on assortment/planning strategies
- Manage weekly/monthly replenishment forecasts to the DC/Store Ops teams to help with workflow planning
- Partner with OML team and assistant buyers on Order Management activities
- Act as liaison to the field through proactive communication and addressing concerns
- 10%: Responsible for creating, managing and analyzing inventory purchase orders for both ecommerce and brick & mortar stores
- Validate, write and troubleshoot POs for seasonal buys
- Recommend inventory sharing opportunities across channels during product lifecycle
- Report out on inbound receipts to cross-functional partners
- 10%: Summarize and communicate findings, insights and reporting to leadership
We’d Love to hear from you if:
- Ability to finish tasks on time with accuracy and consistency, easily recognize mistakes, and produce high quality work
- Analytical / genuine curiosity
- Ability to analyze data, and communicate key findings effectively to business partners and leadership
- Can review multiple metrics and identify outliers when analyzing business opportunities
- Creates strategies or solutions based off multiple data points
- Strong communication
- Able to share inventory concerns with business partners (e.g. Buyers, Planners)
- Communicates ideas or strategy clear and concisely
- Can identify what and when information should be communicated to the leadership team and does so in a succinct matter
- The ability to prioritize effectively while balancing feedback from multiple stakeholders
- Proficient in developing strong relationships with all levels of the business
- Ability to synthesize and communicate results clearly and effectively
- Energetic self-starter
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Adept in diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex issues
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills (Pivot tables, Vlookups, etc)
- Retail store experience and/or knowledge of distribution and replenishment systems a plus
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (3.2 strongly preferred)
- Enrollment in a Bachelor/Master’s degree program at the time of the internship (certificate programs are not eligible)
- Availability to start on the designated start date in May
- Availability to work for a minimum of 10 out of the 11 weeks of the defined internship period which runs from May-August
- Knowledge of allocation principles, retail fundamentals, ad hoc reporting and analysis (i.e., Excel)
OUR Team Members:
- Lead Courageously: Have a strong sense of personal values that align with our Company values
- Collaborates Broadly: Build cooperation, trust, and thrive in a consensus driven environment
- Customer Focus: Proactively seek opportunities to leverage data and fact-based insights to serve customers and/or internal clients
- Drive Growth: Set aggressive goals and implement plans precisely
- Cultivates Innovation: Respectfully challenge the "we’ve always done it this way" mentality and explore new ways to achieve desired outcomes
Make a career at Carter’s:
- Career Development: Success starts from within, and we have several paths from which you can choose to enhance your career evolution. From Carter’s University to Toastmasters to mentorship programs and more, we encourage you to utilize these tools to elevate your professional prowess.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties described may be changed or reassigned at the discretion of management, and the employee may be required to perform duties that are not listed in the job description.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.