Organized Retail Crime Investigator
Serving the needs of all families with young children, Carter’s Inc. is the largest North American apparel retailer exclusively for babies and young children, encompassing Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip*Hop and Little Planet brands. Meaningful work, constant learning, genuine people, and a community guided by core values that promote inclusion and innovation is in everything we do. There are many reasons to build your career at Carter's.
How you’ll make an impact:
The ORC Investigator is responsible for managing and coordinating theft, fraud and organized retail crime investigations within an assigned market. The ORC Investigator will cover two regions, focusing on shrink prevention and protection of company assets. The ORC Investigator is required to perform all tasks in a safe manner consistent with company values, policies, state and federal law. This ORC Investigator will cover North East area of stores.
50% Store Investigations
- Ability to work independently, focusing on stores/districts within the two assigned regions who are experiencing theft related to organized retail crime and repeat offender activity.
- Effectively utilize all investigative tools including case management, data analytics, cameras, etc. to identify theft trends.
- Investigate and resolve cases related to ORC and other theft activity; develop strategies and tactical plans to resolve theft and fraud.
- Plan support operations and conduct surveillance of known suspects in conjunction with law enforcement and retail ORC partners.
- Assist law enforcement during the execution of search warrants, including identification, inventory and recovery of stolen merchandise.
- Ensure proper preparation, maintenance and retention of all reports, evidence, files and records in accordance with company guidelines and local jurisdiction.
- Maintain video library and BOLO files of known shoplifting suspects; issue BOLO’s to law enforcement when appropriate.
- Testify in criminal proceedings when required; work closely within the judicial system to ensure prosecution and maximize restitution opportunities.
40% Relationship Building and Training, Education, and Awareness
- Partner with and educate store leadership teams and sales associates on external theft awareness and prevention; conduct ORC prevention and awareness training; facilitate large group presentations and training.
- Communicate losses attributed to organized retail crime by preparing updates for regional AP managers regarding trends being experienced in the field.
- Build and maintain on-going partnerships with law enforcement, public officials and area business community partners including partnership with industry ORC investigative teams.
- Participate in law enforcement networking meetings, including attendance at ORCA meetings within the assigned regions.
10% Auditing/Reporting Functions
- Conduct analysis of exception reports, data integrity, and opportunities identified during store visits.
- Utilize exception reporting to identify high profile stores for evidence of fraudulent activity, mismanagement, or theft.
- Maintain AP awareness programs, the SOS store program and the physical security of stores.
We’d Love to hear from you if: (Requirements section)
- 5+ years of work experience in retail asset protection in a multi-unit environment, conducting retail theft, fraud and complex investigations involving organized retail crime.
- 3+ years of experience working with law enforcement to create partnerships, foster collaboration and close cases for prosecution. This includes State, Local, Federal levels of law enforcement.
- Knowledge of physical security applications; conducting stationary and mobile surveillance operations
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of computers and related MS Office applications
- Knowledge of applicable federal laws, state laws, and city ordinances
- Ability to function independently and problem solve with minimal direction
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner
- Proven ability to testify in criminal proceedings
- Working knowledge of Close Circuit Television (CCTV) systems, portable video equipment and surveillance devices
- Ability to travel independently and overnight (50% required)
- Ability to be available nights and weekends
Preferred skills and experience:
- Retail industry experience is preferred
- Wicklander-Zulawski certified
- Strong knowledge of audit procedures
- Thorough knowledge of POS systems
- Ability to exercise excellent judgement when conducting investigations and field support
- Understanding of retail sales drivers, financial reports and retail business acumen
Our Team Members:
- Lead Courageously: Have a strong sense of personal values that align with our Company values
- Collaborates Broadly: Build cooperation, trust, and thrive in a consensus driven environment
- Customer Focus: Proactively seek opportunities to leverage data and fact-based insights to serve customers and/or internal clients
- Drive Growth: Set aggressive goals and implement plans precisely
- Cultivates Innovation: Respectfully challenge the "we’ve always done it this way" mentality and explore new ways to achieve desired outcomes
Make a career at Carter’s:
- Career Development: Success starts from within, and we have several paths from which you can choose to enhance your career evolution. From Carter’s University to Toastmasters to mentorship programs and more, we encourage you to utilize these tools to elevate your professional prowess.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties described may be changed or reassigned at the discretion of management, and the employee may be required to perform duties that are not listed in the job description.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.