Real Estate Counsel
Serving the needs of all families with young children, Carter’s Inc. is the largest North American apparel retailer exclusively for babies and young children, encompassing Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip*Hop and Little Planet brands. Meaningful work, constant learning, genuine people, and a community guided by core values that promote inclusion and innovation is in everything we do. There are many reasons to build your career at Carter's.
How you’ll make an impact:
In this role, you will be part of the General Counsel’s office as a core member of the legal department, with direct and frequent interaction with the members of Carter’s real estate teams (including finance, store planning, and construction).
This role reports to Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Corporate & Securities and is based in our Buckhead Atlanta office in a hybrid (three days on-site, two days remote) work environment. This role will have oversight over a contract real estate paralegal.
75% Real Estate Lease Matters
- Negotiate, draft, and implement new and renewed retail store leases in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, and oversee and manage outside counsel as appropriate
- Review, negotiate, and/or draft all related real estate documents, such as LOIs, SNDAs, letter amendments, etc.
- Oversee the lease administration process
- Work with the real estate team to manage deal flow and construction timeline
- Provide advice and guidance to the construction team on all construction-related matters
- Participate in Company’s real estate committee and portfolio management committee meetings
- Assist Real Estate Team in establishing and updating retail leasing standards and legal strategy for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Support Real Estate Team in managing relationships with large portfolio landlords
- Negotiate, draft, and finalize new leases and amendments for corporate offices, distribution centers, and other locations worldwide
- Manage all other real estate related legal matters for the Company, such as corporate office lease matters, matters related to the Company’s distribution centers, real estate-related litigation, etc.
25% Other Matters, Including Risk-Management
- Oversee and manage Americans with Disabilities Act eCommerce and store compliance
- Provide advice and guidance on insurance and risk management programs including processing of casualty and stock thru-put insurance claims
- Assist in annual renewal process for the Company’s insurance program
- Provide advice and guidance regarding lease disputes and litigation
We’d Love to hear from you if:
- Extensive knowledge of current retail store lease practices and trends
- Ability to continuously improve processes, practices, and procedures around review and completion of new and renewed leases
- Willingness to be flexible, to act as a team player, and to demonstrate leadership qualities in working together to successfully complete a project
- Five to seven years of leasing experience
- Bachelor’s and Juris Doctorate Degrees
- Licensed to practice law in the United States
- Superior communication skills (verbal and written)
Preferred skills and experience:
- A wide variety of past experiences
- Demonstration of providing practical solutions and service-oriented advice in your practice of law
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage outside counsel expenditures to budget and track and report on outside counsel spend
- Success in establishing and maintaining business relationships with key stakeholders
- Fluent or conversant in Spanish preferred
Our Team Members:
- Lead Courageously: Have a strong sense of personal values that align with our Company values
- Collaborate Broadly: Build cooperation, trust, and thrive in a consensus driven environment
- Customer Focus: Proactively seek opportunities to leverage data and fact-based insights to serve customers and/or internal clients
- Drive Growth: Set aggressive goals and implement plans precisely
- Cultivate Innovation: Respectfully challenge the "we’ve always done it this way" mentality and explore new ways to achieve desired outcomes
Make a career at Carter’s:
- Career Development: Success starts from within, and we have several paths from which you can choose to enhance your career evolution. From Carter’s University to Toastmasters to mentorship programs and more, we encourage you to utilize these tools to elevate your professional prowess.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: JR16209