Retail Accounting Intern, Summer 2024
Serving the needs of all families with young children, Carter’s Inc. is the largest North American apparel retailer exclusively for babies and young children, encompassing Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip*Hop and Little Planet brands. Meaningful work, constant learning, genuine people, and a community guided by core values that promote inclusion and innovation is in everything we do. There are many reasons to build your career at Carter's.
The Carter’s Accounting internship program provides the opportunity to build accounting knowledge by performing functions within the Month End Close process as well as play a critical role in supporting the Accounting team/ various business partners with tasks including account reconciliation and financial reporting.
This role typically reports to the Accounting Supervisor and is based in our Buckhead office in our hybrid work environment.
- This role is required to be in the office 4 days per week at our Buckhead location.
- Daily/monthly reconciliation of US Retail Stores and eComm tender sales collections (credit card, gift card, paypal, afterpay, etc.)
- Partner with various Marketing business partners to review actual spend vs. the budget/forecasts and create the necessary journal entry adjustments.
- Assist with month end journal entry preparation.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly/ quarterly financial statements.
- General assistance with month end/quarter end close tasks.
- Assist with Balance Sheet Reconciliations.
Analysis & Reporting- 10%
- Prepare monthly/quarterly expense analysis.
- Ad hoc financial reporting requested by the business.
Internal Controls- 10%
- Assist with internal and external SOX control audit requests.
- Assist with drafting reporting calendar.
- Prepare minutes for close meetings/team meetings.
- Ad hoc assignments requested by the business.
We’d Love to hear from you if:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Internet search capabilities
- Strong level of analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong attention to detail, strong mathematical and reasoning skills required
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (3.2 strongly preferred)
- Enrollment in a Bachelor/Master’s degree program at the time of the internship (certificate programs are not eligible)
- Availability to start on the designated start date in May
- Availability to work for a minimum of 10 out of the 11 weeks of the defined internship period which runs from May-August
Preferred skills and experience:
- Familiarity with retail business practices
OUR Team Members:
- Lead Courageously: Have a strong sense of personal values that align with our Company values
- Collaborates Broadly: Build cooperation, trust, and thrive in a consensus driven environment
- Customer Focus: Proactively seek opportunities to leverage data and fact-based insights to serve customers and/or internal clients
- Drive Growth: Set aggressive goals and implement plans precisely
- Cultivates Innovation: Respectfully challenge the "we’ve always done it this way" mentality and explore new ways to achieve desired outcomes
Make a career at Carter’s:
- Career Development: Success starts from within, and we have several paths from which you can choose to enhance your career evolution. From Carter’s University to Toastmasters to mentorship programs and more, we encourage you to utilize these tools to elevate your professional prowess.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties described may be changed or reassigned at the discretion of management, and the employee may be required to perform duties that are not listed in the job description.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.