VP, Finance & Corporate Controller
Serving the needs of all families with young children, Carter’s Inc. is the largest North American apparel retailer exclusively for babies and young children, encompassing Carter’s, OshKosh B’gosh, Skip*Hop and Little Planet brands. Meaningful work, constant learning, genuine people, and a community guided by core values that promote inclusion and innovation is in everything we do. There are many reasons to build your career at Carter's.
HOW YOU’LL MAKE AN IMPACT:
The VP, Finance & Corporate Controller will lead the Accounting, Tax, and Finance Shared Services functions, comprised of a team of approximately 100 individuals, including both non-exempt and professional/salaried associates. This person will ensure the company accurately and efficiently complies with and optimizes its accounting and tax obligations and will support the overall organization through the timely delivery of accurate financial information that supports broader decision making.
This role will also be expected to evolve the organization as necessary to ensure it continues to be noted for its financial leadership, ability to partner on business issues, alignment towards driving business results, and highly dependable ability to deliver accurate financial information in a timely manner. The successful candidate will possess extensive accounting and leadership experience and a demonstrated ability to drive effectiveness across the organization. This person will be a strong communicator and business partner who is willing and able to roll up their sleeves and get into the detail, constructively challenge the status quo, and improve the quality and velocity of information produced by the organization.
This role reports to the EVP & Chief Financial Offer, manages 8 direct reports and is based in our headquarters in Atlanta, GA.
- Manage and lead the Tax, Financial Shared Services (Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable), General Accounting, Reporting, Inventory Control, and Sales’ Audit functions of the Company
- Ensure the integrity of the company’s financial reporting and internal control systems
- Oversee the preparation and filing of key SEC documents such as 10-Q and 10-K statements, ensuring compliance, accuracy and timeliness
- Establish and maintain global company policies and procedures surrounding finance and accounting matters
- Analyze, assess implication of and implement new accounting guidance and standards across the enterprise
- Determine accounting treatment and financial implications of complex and unusual transactions
- Develop and lead the Financial Shared Services approach establishing greater efficiency, better information and greater transparency of the information through (Financial) shared services centers where best practices can be deployed
- Create and manage a high-performing and inspired team. Provide strategic, inspirational leadership and build bench strength through strong hiring and development practices. Maintain the highest standards for talent and bring new thinking to recruiting and hiring practices
- Develop value-added management reporting processes and financial systems. Use data to drive continuous performance improvement. Provide meaningful, proactive analysis to improve business decisions
- Support evaluation and implementation of new company initiatives
- Chair the company-wide disclosure committee
- Lead the Company’s global tax function
- Prepare materials and reports for Board and Executive Management compensation
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF:
- The ideal candidate will be a seasoned and mature accounting leader, preferably a sitting Controller. This individual will have a background in public accounting and strong preference will be given to candidates with successful experience managing accounting functions within a public company with international operations. Additionally, the individual should be experienced and comfortable working in a large and dynamic company environment
- As a leader within the organization, the candidate must have unquestionable personal integrity. Should have high resilience and stamina and be comfortable managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Strong analytical skills, well-considered opinions, and outstanding communication skills. Additionally, should be collaborative, a strong team player, and a creative thinker with strong problem-solving abilities
- The successful candidate will be a strong and committed leader with a strong track record of developing talent and building highly functional teams. This person should also be an inspiring leader who leads by example, builds high integrity within the team, and champions a strong commitment to Carter’s values and long-term vision
Experience & Qualifications:
- 10-15 years of experience managing finance and accounting matters of a large, dynamic company. Consumer-facing experience is preferable
- Experience working with public company functions, including external audit and Board of Directors/Audit Committee
- Public accounting experience required (preferably Big Four)
- Shared services leadership, tax expertise and acquisition experience (i.e., transaction structuring, integration) are desirable
- Experience with Oracle’s Hyperion system (especially HFM) and SAP is beneficial
- International experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting; CPA required; Master’s degree in Business, Finance, or related field preferred
OUR TEAM MEMBERS:
- Lead Courageously: Have a strong sense of personal values that align with our Company values
- Collaborates Broadly: Build cooperation, trust, and thrive in a consensus driven environment
- Customer Focus: Proactively seek opportunities to leverage data and fact-based insights to serve customers and/or internal clients
- Drive Growth: Set aggressive goals and implement plans precisely
- Cultivates Innovation: Respectfully challenge the "we’ve always done it this way" mentality and explore new ways to achieve desired outcomes
MAKE A CAREER AT CARTER’S:
- Career Development: Success starts from within, and we have several paths from which you can choose to enhance your career evolution. From Carter’s University to Toastmasters to mentorship programs and more, we encourage you to utilize these tools to elevate your professional prowess.
Carters is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.